Sunday, September 12, 2010

Truth

Remember when you argued that point of church doctrine with someone--and you thought you might get somewhere...then, after a couple hours, all you have is an exhausted brain, a confused feeling and disappointment that the other person never did see your point of view--or the truth as you know it?

I had the most wonderful stake conference today...I left feeling spiritually fed and I was in great spirits. Pres. Bess had reminded us that "hey--Satan is a professional" and he has known our spirits for thousands of years...he was our brother...so he knows how to get us. Well, little did I know how quickly this truth would manifest itself in my life:

I had a run-in this afternoon with someone I don't even know. A total stranger. But hey, I was enjoying a wonderful Sabbath evening and was in high spirits...so when they asked if I wanted to chat, I thought "why not?" Well--it didn't take long for me to realize that his version of Gospel truth was a bit different from mine...but he's the one studying for his PhD right now, so he's bound to know something, right? By the time I realized I was in a situation that wasn't going anywhere--his point of view and mine were never going to agree--he'd gotten so angry that he'd become verbally abusive.

Now anyone who knows me, really knows me, is probably thinking "yea, I'll bet that went over really well with her...did she skin him alive or something?" Truth is, I was so shocked that I just took it. I didn't know what to say: I've never before been spoken to in that manner. By the time I pulled myself together enough to hang up the phone, I was rattled. I mean, I don't get upset easily...I try to let things just roll off my back--but the things this person said were awful.

And for one brief moment, I believed some of them. Then I remembered a beautiful truth: I am a child of God. And He loves me. Even with all my imperfections and shortcomings. I don't have to be perfect today...I just have to be trying. Perspective began to return and I realized that this person must have some serious issues, because no one--no matter what they believe--has the right to speak to another human being in such a disrespectful manner.

I'm still slightly shaken up, but I'm better. I'm grateful that I have friends and family who aren't verbally abusive. I'm grateful for the Gospel. And I'm grateful for simple truths--especially the ones we learn in Primary. I am a child of God.

No comments: