Saturday, October 11, 2008

Autumn Magic

I get a thrill every year when the weather turns chilly. I just love walking outside and filling my lungs with crisp air. Then I get really giddy and run to my room to unpack my sweaters and jackets. *sigh*

Today was no exception. It snowed briefly this morning, and I love nothing more than the first snowfall of the year (except maybe Spring when I can bask in the sun for the first time of the year :)

October
~John Updike

The month is amber,
Gold, and brown.
Blue ghosts of smoke
Float through the town.

Great V's of geese
Honk overhead,
And maples turn
a fiery red.

Frost bites the lawn,
The stars are slits
In a black cat's eye
Before she spits.

At last, small witches,
Goblins, hags,
And pirates armed
With paper bags.

Their costumes hinged
On safety pins,
Go haunt a night
Of pumpkin grins.

Happy Autumn everyone!

**update: I woke up today and it's as if my body just wanted to be better. So, I'm still a little sore, but I'm up and moving and feel 200% better today.

1 comment:

April and Jason said...

I LOVE autumn too!!!!! Unfortunately, California doesn't have as pretty of a fall as Utah does. Its ok though, it is nice to get a break from the heat! How are you? Yes, I am pregnant! Crazy, eh? Well, for me it is. It is still sinking in. I miss you!!!!