Monday, March 2, 2009

Huxley's New World

Anyone remember reading Brave New World in high school? I liked it...probably because we read it and compared it to 1984, which I thought was scary.

Well, this last week I had an experience. And this book came to mind. Disclaimer: I HAVE given myself 3 days to process this experience and make sure this post isn't a post of passion. I was sitting in a classroom learning. And, in my experience, the best way to learn is to pay attention and ask questions (feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here). Well, my facilitator told me to quit asking questions because I was wanting to know things that weren't relevant. (If I'm asking questions about my job that were prompted by materials I read in the manual, how in the world is this not relevant?!) Anyway, I was (and am still) outraged and disgusted by the fact that I was told "not everyone exists on the same aptitude level." So what, I should stop inquiring because there may be someone else in the room who can't or doesn't want to understand something? (which I don't think was the case)

I suddenly had flashbacks to BNW and poor Bernard and Helmholtz--persecuted by society for daring to have a mind of their own. I absolutely refuse! to be kept from inquiring about things relevant to my position in the company just because someone (regardless of his title or position) says I should. This might be disastrous in the long run, but behaving any other way would contradict my moral beliefs. Am I being too tenacious about this? What do y'all think?

No comments: