Monday, November 3, 2008

Ah, to reminisce...

Things (not an all-inclusive list) I remember about my youth that I love:
  • playing cards and eating popcorn (with candy corn) with my family at my grandma's house on friday nights.
  • making plum jelly; or homemade dill pickles
  • devouring stolen jars of frozen blackberries from the freezer (sorry, grandma ;)
  • visiting granny and having her teach me that a woman should always have some "mad money" tucked away.
  • fishing with my dad when I was three and catching more fish than he did. :)
  • being taken out of school randomly as a child because my parents impulsively decided to spend the week vacationing at the beach.
  • riding horses on Saturday mornings and being so cold that I would run inside my aunt's house and run cold water over my toes until I could feel them again. lol.
  • poking snuff and bread down the chickens' throats to help them lay better (where do you get memories like this these days).
  • just playing in the creek that runs behind our house.
  • being barefoot.
  • riding the tractor with dad.
  • shopping with mom after school just because.
  • picking fresh blackberries, then explaining that we had eaten them and couldn't make cobbler after all... :D

Growing up in a small town on land was a great experience. I wouldn't wish to subject any child to having to grow up in the city. Now before I offend anyone, let me say that I've known some incredible people who were raised in the city and I love them much. As my aunt would say, 'different strokes for different folks.'

On a different note, public voting happens tomorrow and I urge everyone to take part in it. TAKE THE TIME. Don't be too busy. Don't say you don't care or that it doesn't affect YOU. It does. Take responsibility for being american and do your civic duty by voting. I'm not going to express my views in my own words here since I've found a couple of blogs that express my beliefs very eloquently. I invite you to read the recent posts here and here. If you have any strong opinions that you wish to express about what you've read, please comment on my blog and NOT on theirs; unless, of course, you wish to leave a positive comment, then feel free. ;)

*I will soon be posting pictures of what I was for Halloween, as I'm very proud of it. I just need to finagle getting the pictures from my friend's camera.

1 comment:

Mrs. Ordinary said...

Thanks for reading (and I love the memories--you make me wish I had those sweet, small town memories)