Friday, May 7, 2010

Too much fun...

I have had the most fun today! Doing what, you ask? Would you believe...sewing? :D

I remember once, as a snotty-teenaged-brat, telling my young women's leader that I didn't want to learn to sew--I planned to make enough money to pay others to do that kind of stuff for me. Sister Godwin, I'm sorry.

Hurting for things to do these days with my limited mobility, I began searching the internet for something I could do for my mom for Mother's Day and found a small craft that involved sewing.

SO, I just had my first sewing lesson with my 87 yr. old grandma. :D She taught me how to use her machine (I mean, I don't even know how to sew on a button) and I dove in. Guess what? I LOVE IT!

Those of you who know me are probably thinking ,"Who in the world is this domesticated person (yes, I said domesticated) and what have they done with Jess?" Well, I guess it's never too late to discover hidden talents--I am good.


I finished 5 of these super-cute aprons today and have plans for more. I worked for 8 hours straight and loved every minute of it. I'm completely exhausted, but every time I glance over at my pet project, I just can't stop grinning.

Who'd a thunk?

3 comments:

navajotwin said...

Yay for finding a new talent! And you're right - who'd have thought that you would love sewing... no offense, of course :)

Remember when we made aprons in the FLSR, some just decorating store-bought ones and others making towel aprons? I made a towel apron. Spent 2 hours at a sewing machine (my first 2 hours ever) making my own custom apron. Loved it. :)

Haven't sat at a sewing machine since.

Keep posting your projects - it might make me sit behind Angie's machine and try my hand.

Or not... ;)

Rachel {La Familia Pearson} said...

That sounds so fun, actually! I used to think: sewing? oh, my mom can take care of it...now she's so far away. That's cool that you have something fun to do. Yes, we are going to Minnesota, but I wish we had the time and money to take a trip over to you!!! I hope you're doing all right, let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you. :) Sure do miss you!

Ashley Bybee Stepp said...

:) I was also one who swore they'd never sew or get all homey-crafty. Oops! Now I can't keep up with all my endeavors. Crocehting, knitting, embroidering... I'd love to start sewing but want to wait until I catch up a bit. I, too, apologize for my previous attitude that craftiness was not for me.